People in Birmingham who are dealing with overwhelming debts may, at some point, experience harassment at the hands of creditors attempting to collect payments. However, it is imperative that debtors learn their rights when it come to creditor harassment. In accordance with the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, the following behaviors will not be tolerated:
- Creditors that misrepresent themselves in any way
- Creditors that make unnecessary or too many phone calls to debtors
- Creditors that make real or imaginary threats to debtors
- Creditors that speak aggressively when talking to debtors
- Creditors that threaten to inflict damage to debtors’ property
- Creditors that make unauthorized charges to debtors
People who believe they have experienced any harassing behaviors from creditors or collectors should understand that there are legal options available for them to protect themselves from abuse.
The lawyers of Greenway Bankruptcy Law, LLC provide legal assistance for people in Birmingham who are experiencing harassment or abuse from creditors. If you are dealing with this type of behavior, contact our legal team today by calling (205) 324-4000 to learn about our services and how we may be able to help you.